Sunday, 5 February 2012

Thinking about the good, the bad and the ugly!

You don’t know what you’ve got, until it's gone. Well if I thought about it...

What I would miss the most from working in this boozer 

Wearing the various unusual hats that we have lying around. There's always one to pick up and throw on. The Bowler, The Top Hat, The Policeman's helmet..it's like working in a curiosity shop here sometimes !

Leffe! I fucking love that stuff! S'pose you can buy it elsewhere, but I wouldn't be able to pour it myself eslewhere and that's half the fun!

Pressing loads of the buttons on the jukebox a million miles an hour. Love that feeling! 

Random conversations with people that I wouldn't normally have the opportunity to talk to. I've learnt many an interesting thing from the odd customer. I once had a really long chat with a punter about Geology; learnt loads that night, I did! More than I did at school! I've forgotten it all now, but that's not the point..


Playing music till a stupid hour in the morning to an audience who clap and are genuinely pleased to hear us play. (Apart from the lady down Princes street, of course!)

Cutting candles. There's something incredibly therapeutic about splicing a bit of a wax off a candle. You should try it.

Banging the last bell! You'd be surprised what power you feel when hitting that iron thing! Making a racket out of one gong, it's immense... 

Eating anything and everything in our kitchen. Poor Del, he only has to make a salad dressing, and I'm at it like a tiger. 'What's that Del, can I try it?'...'Fi, it's only vegetable stock'...I'm there with a tablespoon and a drooling gob!

Cooking...Can't believe I wrote that. But I've recently started really enjoying it. Probably because most of the meals I cook are for me and I love eating, so that's that!

The Beatles Convention. One of my all time favourite events of the year! Along with Dandy Bloom and our film festival all nighter- which by the way this year is May 6th.

Fraping staff when they forgetfully leave their mobiles lying around...They never learn! 


What I wouldn't miss at all from working in this boozer!

Putting glasses through the glass washer. Ground Hog Day? Hell yeah!

Locking up. Finding the padlock along with the bolt is like finding a needle in a haystack. 

Getting change for the weekend. Dunno about you, but I find that a couple of the women at Southend’s HSBC are so fucking miserable. They act as if we demand their pension money when all we want is a bit of change for the weekend which we're happy to swap them notes for. Moody cows!

Changing barrels of beer. Specifically ales. So many outfits of mine have been drenched with beer after tapping a fucking barrel of ale. I hate the stuff. Tapping and venting and all that bollocks. 

Getting ice for the ice bucket. The thought of having to trudge all the way downstairs, through the kitchen, into the hallway, down the rickety steps, through the puddle of water leading to the ice machine, which, if it's having a good day, will be full of ice. Your hands freezing as you scoop up the ice into your bucket. You walk back upstairs, freezing your tits off, only to plonk 1 cube of ice into a glass because the customer you've got likes '1 cube only please!’ That was well worth the trip!

Cleaning the ladies loos on a Saturday night. No details needed!



I would add more to this list, but it's getting pretty light outside, and if I continue adding to this blog, then I'll miss out on my all time favourite task, which is getting change from those delightful ladies down the road tomorrow.  So I'll bid you farewell...until next time. x

No comments:

Post a Comment